Employment Opportunity: Senior Director, Operations & Finance
The Senior Director, Operations & Finance oversees the Scranton Area Foundation’s operations, administrative, and financial activities. This is a senior level position, and reports directly to the President & Chief Executive Officer.
Salary: $50,000 to $65,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, retirement contribution, and paid time off.
The Scranton Area Foundation
This new position is an opportunity to be part of the The Scranton Area Foundation, a well-respected community foundation in Lackawanna County, with a 62 year history of managing charitable giving vehicles and providing grants to support community causes. The Foundation is in a period of growth and expanded community engagement, with over $33 million in assets under management, and an additional $30 million in assets in contracted administrative relationships with other Foundations.
The successful candidate reports to the President & CEO and will serve as a member of SAF’s leadership team, overseeing the following areas: finance, business planning, budgeting, operations, and contracted agreements with other foundations. He or she will keep abreast of current and emerging trends in the charitable planning sector. He or she will be responsible for other projects and initiatives when directed by President & CEO.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Specialization in finance, accounting, business, administration or a related field. Advanced degree highly preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in areas of financial management, project management, operations management, administration, business management or a combination of the above.
- 2+ years staff management experience highly preferred.
- Financial skills, including experience for the quality, content, and reporting of financial data, and/or audit coordination.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, listening and written communication skills.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends when needed.
- A multitasker with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission.
- Skilled at problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Oversees all financial activities and reporting for the Foundation.
- Directly manage all financial transactions and reconciliations.
- Develops, implements, and maintains effective accounting policies and internal controls.
- Develops the annual budget and monitors performance throughout the fiscal year.
- Ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant, operational, and program budgets.
- Provides timely, accurate, informative, and user-friendly financial information, analysis and projections as needed for the Foundation’s Board, staff and fund holders.
- Produce monthly, quarterly and audited year-end consolidated financial statements for the Foundation, its individual charitable funds, and its affiliated, contracted foundations.
- Serves as a liaison to the Foundation’s independent auditors and serves as primary staff for the Audit Committee.
- Ensures that all required state and federal reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Updates and maintains investment, financial and charitable gift acceptance policies.
- Recommends and implements improvements in financial procedures.
- Serves as the intermediary and liaison for the Foundation’s CIO, and Investment Managers.
- Monitor progress and changes for both SAF assets and foundations that are managed on a contractual basis.
- Reviews balances of investments, bank and custodial accounts regularly.
- Establish a Charitable Gift Annuity program.
- Establish an Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program.
- Proficiency with computer technology and its use in communication, information gathering and management
- Extensive experience with MS Office as well as Excel or comparable software
- Experience with financial management software.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent relationship building, communication, and organizational skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the board of directors, and other stakeholders.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. No calls please.